The majority of current monitors do not come with built-in speakers. However, if you wish to link your gaming console, such as an Xbox or PS3, to your monitor, you will also need a good sound to have an exceptional gaming experience. Even while attaching a laptop to a monitor, everyone desires to use external speakers for computer monitors to have a better music sound. Now the question may arise of how to connect speakers to a monitor that does not have built-in speakers?
It’s not for everyone to connect add-on speakers to a computer monitor! And, with practically all smart tv screens serving as both a computer and a television monitor, figuring out how to connect external desktop speakers to the computer or television monitor has become difficult.
However, there are various ways to get sound from your monitor without inbuilt speakers. Let’s discuss in detail how to connect speakers to computer.
How to Connect Speakers to a Monitor?
You do not have to worry anymore about how to connect monitor speakers. The 6 best ways to plug in speakers for computer monitor are,
- Using an HDMI Audio Extractor
- Using the 3.5 mm Output.
- Using the Optical Output (SPDIF)
- Using Composite Cables
- Using RGB or Component Cables
Using an HDMI Audio Extractor
You can use an HDMI audio extractor to link a source device and pull audio from the extractor. For example, speakers, a sound system, a soundbar, and other audio devices can be connected to the extractor. Of course, for this to function, the source device must have an HDMI output port.
Your laptop, console, Apple TV, Fire TV, or any other device that you have connected to your monitor would be the source in this situation.
Remember that audio extractors only allow one HDMI input device; however, if you want to connect numerous devices, you can acquire an HDMI switcher.
How to Connect an Audio Extractor?
The below steps will show you how to connect your audio extractor to get a good sound from computer monitor speakers.
- Connect the HDMI output of the source device to the HDMI input of the audio extractor.
- Use the analog audio outputs on the extractor to connect the speaker to the extractor. If your speaker has an AUX input, you’ll need an RCA to aux cord for this.
- Connect the speaker’s auxiliary input to the RCA to the AUX cable. If you’re using headphones, simply connect them to the extractor’s AUX output.
Finally, the sound from the Xbox will be played through your speakers, headphones, or other audio devices you have connected.
Using an HDMI Audio Extractor and a PC to Troubleshoot the Connection
While using an HDMI audio extractor, one needs to enable audio output. For that, perform the following:
- Ensure that all sound drivers on the computer are up to date.
- Select the appropriate audio output from the external speakers by right-clicking on the output devices.
- If you’re utilizing numerous input devices, use an HDMI splitter to link all of them and turn on the sound.
- Restart the gadget if no sound is being made.
Using the 3.5 mm Output
You may easily attach external speakers if your monitor has a 3.5 mm audio out. However, in reality, you can use an audio splitter cable to connect two speakers for the L/R channel. Of course, your speakers must have 3.5 mm inputs for this to function.
- Purchase two male-to-male audio cables, such as the AmazonBasics 3.5 mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Aux. An audio splitter, such as the Syncwire Stereo Y Splitter, is also required.
- Plug the 3.5 mm audio cables into the speakers.
- Connect the 3.5 mm cables to the splitter’s female end.
- Finally, connect the splitter’s male end to the monitor.
It is the simplest and quickest method for getting sound from your display without using the built-in speakers.
Using the Optical Output (SPDIF)
Gamers who use gaming consoles like the PS4 and Xbox may want to link their monitor’s optical audio-out to their speakers or another audio device. This connection is the industry standard for transferring high-quality digital audio without analog conversion.
However, we do not encourage it because your monitor shouldn’t be displaying anything other than video. The video from your console should be output to the monitor, and the audio from the console should be output to the speakers. In any case, if you decide to use the optical out connection, follow these steps:
- Connect the monitor to the optical cable.
- Connect the optical cable’s other end to an optically equipped device, like a mix amp. If you have a more extensive surround sound system and want a fully immersive gaming experience, you might also connect the optical wire to a receiver.
- Connect your headphones to the mix amp and listen to your favorite music!
Using Composite Cables
A video connection and left and right audio channels are included in a basic Av multiport cable. However, it is a composite connection for audio and video in standard definition. As a result, you won’t watch HD videos with this cable.
Consoles such as the PS3 will have a standard AV multiport for audio and visual data output.
You have to connect the display cable to the console and then use the L/R audio channels to connect the speakers if your speaker has a 3.5mm connector, a 3.5mm male to RCA female adapter is required, such as the CERRXIAN 3.5mm Stereo to 2-RCA Male to Female Adapter.
You will also need a 3.5mm stereo coupler for headphones, such as the Mono price 107185 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack.
If utilizing a composite cable is a must for you, remember to use a composite to component converter.
Using RGB or Component Cables
A component cable is another option for connecting your speakers. You will be able to obtain high definition quality with component cables. Audio is delivered to the left and right connections via these cables. Here’s how you can use component wires to connect:
- Connect the cable to the console’s AV multi-out.
- If your speakers have a 3.5mm jack, you’ll need a 3.5mm male to RCA female adapter, such as the CERRXIAN 3.5mm Stereo to 2-RCA Male to Female Adapter. You’ll also need a 3.5mm stereo coupler, such as the Mono price 107185 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack if you’re using headphones.
- Change the audio settings on the console so that sound comes out of the audio input ports.
And your system is ready to go.
How to Connect Speakers to a Monitor Without Jack?
You can now wirelessly connect speakers without using a jack. With the advent of Bluetooth technology, getting sound from your system has never been easier. On the other hand, wireless speakers are speakers that receive audio signals using radio frequency (RF) waves.
If your computer or other source device lacks Bluetooth, you can purchase a USB to Bluetooth cable if your device supports USB. You can receive the benefits of Bluetooth-enabled gadgets without acquiring new gear in this way. You will be able to make a Bluetooth connection at your leisure once you have purchased a USB to Bluetooth cable.
How To Pair a Bluetooth Device?
The following is a fast walkthrough of pairing a Windows device with a Bluetooth speaker. First, make sure your Bluetooth device is turned on and discoverable. The gadget will generally notify you when it is ready to pair. Then follow the steps below.
- Go to the settings menu from the Start option.
- From settings, select the devices and then Bluetooth and other devices.
- Click on Add Bluetooth or other device and then Bluetooth.
- Select the Bluetooth device and then select Done after following the on-screen prompts.
Your device will be automatically connected.
Is Your Monitor Still Facing Audio Issues?
Ensure the following points if you have followed all of the procedures and the monitor still doesn’t have audio.
- Check your monitor sound. The display isn’t muted, or the level isn’t too low.
- If you’re using a VGA cable to connect your machine, ensure the AUDIO/LINE/HEADPHONE OUT port is working.
- Ensure that the port is connected to the monitor’s AUDIO/LINE IN port simultaneously.
- You can do a cross-check by using a separate computer or monitor speaker.
Do monitors have speakers?
Yes, most monitors come with built-in speakers. They allow you to listen to various audio and music without the need for additional speakers.
What Is The Best Way To Get Sound From My Monitor?
Go to the system tray area of your Windows taskbar and right-click on the audio icon to enable your monitor speakers and get good sound from them. Select “Playback devices” after that. If you connected your monitor speaker via DisplayPort or HDMI, click its name in the list of devices. Alternatively, if the device is linked through 3.5 mm audio and DVI or VGA, select “Speakers.”
How can I get sound from a monitor that doesn’t have a speaker but does have an HDMI connection?
Right-click your external devices’ settings and select the sound console’s audio port that has been hooked via the HDMI channel to obtain sound out of your monitor without an HDMI connection. It would be beneficial to use an HDMI splitter to accomplish your purpose. You should also make sure that all wires are connected correctly and that the device’s sound is activated.
If your monitor doesn’t have built-in speakers and you want to get sound out of it, use one of the ways listed above. You won’t need to buy any expensive equipment or replace anything; one of these cheap fixes will suffice.
Hope you know how to connect speaker to monitor now